Umatilla County Housing Authority




U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Office of Inspector General


Public Housing

May 1988


Things You Should Know About Public Housing

Don’t risk your chances for Federally assisted housing by providing false, incomplete, or inaccurate information on your application and re-certification forms.




This is to inform you that there is certain information you must provide when
applying for assisted housing. There are penalties that apply if you knowingly
omit information or give false information. 

Penalties for Committing Fraud


The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) places
places a high priority on preventing fraud. If your application or re-certification
forms contain false or incomplete information, you may be:


  • Evicted from your apartment or house;
  • Required to repay all overpaid rental assistance you received;
  • Fined up to $10,000;
  • Imprisoned for up to 5 years; and or
  • Prohibited from receiving future assistance.


Your State and local governments may have other laws and penalties as well.




When you sit down with the person who fills out your application, you should
know what is expected of you. If you do not understand something, say so.
That person can answer your question or find out what the answer is.

Completing the Application








When you give your answers to application questions, you must include the
following information:


  • All sources of money you and any member of your family receive;
    (wages, welfare payments, alimony, social security, pension, etc.)
  • Any money you receive on behalf of your children (child support, Social Security for children, etc.);
  • Income from assets (interest from a savings account, credit union, or
    Certificate of deposit, dividends from stocks, etc.);
  • Earnings from second job or part time job;
  • Any anticipated income (such as a bonus or pay raise you expect to




Family/Household Members

  • All bank accounts, savings bonds, certificates of deposit, stocks, real estate etc., that are owned by you and any audit member of your family/household who will be living with you.
  • Any business or asset you sold in the last 2 years for less than its full value,
    Such as your home to your children.


  • The names of all of the people (adults and children) who will actually be living
    with you, whether or not they are related to you.

Signing the Application


  • Do not sign any form unless you have read it, understand it, and are sure
    everything is complete and accurate.
  • When you sign application and certification forms, you are claiming that they
    Are complete to the best of your knowledge and belief. You are committing
    Fraud if you sign a form knowing that it contains false or misleading
  • Information you give on your application will be verified by your housing
    Agency. In addition, HUD may do computer matches of the income you
    With various Federal, State or private agencies to verify that it is correct.




You must provide updated information at least once a year. Some programs require that you report any changes in income or family/household composition immediately. Be sure to ask when you must re-certify. You must report on re-certification forms:


  • All income changes, such as pay increases or benefits, change of job, loss of
    Job, loss of benefits, etc., for all adult family/household members.
  • Any family/household member who has moved in or out.
  • All assets that you or your family/household members own and any asset
    that was sold in the last 2 years for less than its full value.

Beware of



You should be aware of the following fraud schemes;


  • Do not pay any money to file an application.
  • Do not pay any money to move up on the waiting list.
  • Do not pay for anything not covered by your lease.
  • Get a receipt for any money you pay.
  • Get a written explanation if you are required to pay any money other than rent (such as maintenance charges).




If you are aware of anyone who has falsified an application, or if anyone tries to
persuade you to make false statements, report them to the manager of your
Project or PHA. If you cannot report to the manager, call the local HUD office or the HUD Hotline at (202) 472-4200.  This is not a toll free number.  You can also write to the HUD HOTLINE, Room 8254, 451 Seventh Street SW, Washington,
DC 20410.


Back to top